Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Friendships

It's funny how friendships come and go from our lives and how some fade away without us ever really realizing it and then there are those friendships that just stand the test of time no matter how often you see or speak to each other.

Take my friend Linda for example, we have known each other for the last sixteen years and while we have had periods of time when we haven't seen each other we always catch up with one another and talk for hours like no time has gone by at all. I last spoke to Linda about two years ago when we ran into each other at our local shopping center, she gave me her new number and I said I'd call soon to catch up. Well I went and lost her number and couldn't find the address book which at least had her mobile number in it. So a few months later I find out I'm moving three hours away and it all happened so fast I didn't have time to even try and contact her to let her know.

 I have thought of Linda a lot over the last eighteen months and finally I found her daughter on facebook and asked her for Linda's number which she gave me as well as her Dads' email address. So I sent an email with my numbers and within hours Linda called and we talked for hours. It was so good to hear her voice and catch up and fill her in on what's been happening with getting married and the works. Linda has had a rough twelve months herself from what she tells me and I only wish I could have been there to help her through her hardships but hopefully things will start turning around for her and her family and they will have a good year over the next twelve months.

Peta and I on my wedding day.
Then there's Peta who I've known for the last eight years and the funny thing about Peta is we actually went to the same primary school but she was a year ahead of me so we really didn't know each other too well. We also went to different high schools so we had no contact with each other until our kids met up at school. My kids knew her kids through attending their dads church where Peta attended too. I was picking my kids up from school one day when Lauren started jumping out of her skin saying, 'there's Peta and her kids,' and I'm looking around going who and where. hehe.....she introduced herself and invited the kids over to play and it wasn't until we were having coffee at her house and talking about our own school that we made the connection that we went to the same school and were in the same school plays etc.

Peta has been a wonderful friend over the years and we have helped each other out whenever we can as friends do and for this reason I asked her to be my maid of honour for my wedding which she was stoked about. Even though we now live three hours away from each other we still catch up regularly through email, sms or phone calls and whenever I go to Perth I try to catch up with her in person though sometimes it's just not possible.

Of all my friends I've made in life Linda and Peta have stuck like glue and for this I'm grateful because true friends are hard to find in this world where so many are deceptive. The best piece of advise I can give anyone to find real friends is to surround yourself with positive people and say goodbye to the negative ones who only want to bring you down and hurt you.

Also there is a bible passage that says, 'He that is walking with wise persons will become wise but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly.' - Proverbs 13:20................this small but wise piece of information is so true and good guidance to find true friendships, so keep looking with wisdom and you will find those who make your life happy as I have done. Thank you my friends.


3 comments:

  1. Hello and nice to meet you! There is so much truth in this post - amazing how FB lets old friends reconnect after years of separation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love u Michelle! I miss having u close by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss you too sweety, will try to come and see you when we're in Perth. Remember the trampoline and the Midori?? hehehe

    ReplyDelete